Of Pieces



(i) 
"Here's what I think, Mr. Wind-Up Bird," said May Kasahara. 
"Everybody's born with some different thing at the core of their existence. And that thing, whatever it is, becomes like a heat source that runs each person from the inside. I have one too, of course. Like everybody else. But sometimes it gets out of hand. It swells or shrinks inside of me, and it shakes me up. What I'd really like to do is find a way to communicate that feeling to another person. But I can't seem to do it. They just don't get it. Of course, the problem could be that I'm not explaining it very well, but I think it's because they're not listening very well. They pretend to be listening, but they're not, really. So I get worked up sometimes, and I do some crazy things."
(Haruki Murakami, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle)
          (ii)
 "As I see it, you are living with something that you keep hidden deep inside. Something heavy. I felt it from the first time I met you. You have a strong gaze, as if you have made up your mind about something. To tell you the truth, I myself carry such things around inside. Heavy things. That is how I can see it in you."
(Haruki Murakami, 1Q84
(iii)
"Life is a lot more fragile than we think. So you should treat others in a way that leaves no regrets. Fairly, and if possible, sincerely."
(Haruki Murakami, Dance Dance Dance)
(iv)
"This is one more piece of advice I have for you: don't get impatient. Even if things are so tangled up you cannot do anything, don't get desperate or blow a fuse and start yanking on one particular thread before it's ready to be undone. You have to realize it's going to be a long process and that you'll work on things slowly, one at a time."
(Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood
 (v)
"And you really will have to make it through that violent, metaphysical, symbolic storm. No matter how metaphysical or symbolic it might be, make no mistake about it: it will cut through flesh like a thousand razor blades. People will bleed there, and you will bleed too. Hot, red blood. You'll catch that blood in your hands, and your own blood and the blood of others. And once the storm is over you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."
(Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore)
 
:)


So here is a recollection of bits and pieces from Murakami's writings. His first book that I bought the other day was Kafka on the Shore. So far I have grown fond of Paolo Coelho, Mitch Albom, and Cecilia Ahern's writings apart from my other favourite fictional authors. Can't wait to dive in!


I really do have a good feeling about this. Honest and clear writings always get to me, straight to the heart. It's a definite wonder how can an individual manage to vividly illustrate his or her thoughts in such a way that lets others see the truths that were just staring at them the whole time. Works like magic, in such a subtle way.


Which is the kind of writing that I would love to be doing. And most importantly, in writing - write what you would love to read.
  

Comments

Nurafiqah Alya. said…
Keep inspiring, akak! :D

Popular posts from this blog

The message in a bottle

The goodness worth holding on to

The Strength Within Us (The Untold Story)